Hawaii Independent Energy’s assets include a refinery, which can process up to 94,000 barrels of crude oil per day; 27 miles of distribution pipelines; and a single-point mooring terminal. In addition, HIE's gasoline and diesel are sold through a network of 128 retail locations on Oahu, Maui and Hawaii islands. Our company will be headquartered on Oahu, Hawaii.
Commercial sales are a vital part of HIE’s commercial marketing business, and consist of two major segments -- aviation fuels and heavy fuels. HIE provides commercial sales of jet fuel and marine fuels to the marine and aviation industries that serve the state of Hawaii as well as trans-Pacific transportation routes.
We have approximately 490 exceptionally skilled employees who are wholly dedicated to safety and customer service. Our employees are also highly engaged in bettering the community. Recent recognition for their efforts includes:
- 2012 Corporation of the Year by the Hawaii Chapter of Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Hospice Hawaii 2011 Community Supporter of the Year
- Mission Partner of Special Olympics Hawaii, which raises more than $75,000 annually to provide for year-round athletic programs.
Our Commitment to Safety
Safety is paramount to every operation and activity we undertake at HIE. We recognize that our responsible stewardship impacts every employee, every contractor, and every member of the community in which we work, and we embrace that responsibility.
We promote a culture of continual safety improvement with a keen eye for evaluating and managing risk to ensure our implementation of programs, policy and procedures all contribute to the secure and successful delivery of energy to our customers.
We Commit to:
- Put the safety of our colleagues and our community first
- Comply with all applicable rules and regulations
- Recognize and plan to mitigate potential risk
- Recognize and prioritize protection of sensitive environments
- Minimize environmental impact
- Undertake thoughtful and careful remediation of any environmental impact
- Strive for continuous improvement
Health & Safety Recognition
- 2012 American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers Award of Merit for Total Recordable Incident Rate of 0.0
- 2012 American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers Award for operating one year without a Recordable Incident
Highlighted Safety Programs
- Employee-led Triangle of Prevention (TOP) Program for reporting near miss incidents and accidents
- Active collaboration between represented workers and management through the Joint Health & Safety Committee and Process Safety Management Committee